Our client is a technology-based education company that helps K-12 schools and districts deliver and score standards-based assessments for reading and writing during the school year. These assessments act as a benchmark to help students prepare for standardized tests and improve their score.
As a Sr. Software Engineer, you'll serve many users directly while also providing support to back-office staff. You’ll be expected to have strong technical breadth and depth, but have the mindset of a business executive and the communication ability of a strong salesperson.
Description & Responsibilities
In this critical role, your customers and staff will rely on you for day-to-day production support as well as the delivery of critical new enhancements and fixes based on user feedback.
If you're looking for real responsibilities, autonomy over your work, and the opportunity to deliver software that thousands of people use and rely on every day then this is the job for you.
In this job, you will:
- Identify current and future software requirements by establishing a personal rapport with back-office staff and customers.
- Write code to maintain and enhance various software systems, including online testing system, scoring system, back-office portal, and educator portal.
- Review team members' work and give constructive feedback on improvements.
- Create and maintain feature backlog, delivery plan with milestones, delivery estimates, staffing plan, and release roadmap with production deployment plans.
- Create and maintain design and architecture artifacts
The ideal candidate will possess the following traits:
- A “serving others first” approach - you demonstrate leadership through service and example, earning the trust of clients, co-workers, and everyone you meet
- A relentless user advocate with a passion for putting users first and helping them achieve success
- A passion for education and the potential that technology has in the space
- Holds self and others accountable for excellence and results, and has very high standards of performance
- Naturally a 'get things done today' person - has a sense of urgency and speed because you know that great things are accomplished that way
- A passionate, voracious continuous learner - you naturally have kept up with the latest trends, technologies, and tools in the industry
- Programming is your career as well as hobby
Essential qualifications include:
- 10+ years’ experience developing custom software in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent
- Expert knowledge of software architecture using NGINX, Python, Flask, node.js, PostgreSQL, ReactJS, and AngularJS
- Expert knowledge of DevOps tools and processes, including Git, GitLab, Chef, Ansible, and AWS
- Experience and expert know-how working across a full software development lifecycle, including requirements gathering, architecture, planning, development, testing, deployment, hosting, and production support
- Experience working with an Agile mindset using a Scrum methodology (certification is a major plus)
- Ability to demonstrate a mastery of fundamentals in computer science and software engineering best practices
- Ability and background in day-to-day end-user support
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, but an ability to articulate points without using technical jargon
Time Commitment: full-time, 40 hours per week
Hours: General office hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
Compensation: salary, based on skills and experience
Starting Date: Immediately
Job Type: fulltime, permanent
Location: DeBary, Florida
Reports to: Executive Director
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.